Friday, February 26, 2010

How to improve Singapore birth rate

As we know, Singapore population will age as we are moving towards the 2050. I will be into my late 70s by then. I will have many people in my same age group. Singapore is moving the right step by making public facilities easy for the aging population. They are also taking the correct step to improve the birth rate. But unlike improving public facilities, improving birth rate is beyond the control of the government.

Do you know why? I am a Chinese. Being a typical Chinese, I want to give the best for my 2 kids. I wasn't referring to all the branded things for the kids, or travelling to Europ, USA, or Eton childcare. These are beyond my means. Even if I can afford, I also believe in letting my kids grow up in a moderate life and understanding what hard earned money means. My net salary is about $3,800 after deducting CPF. Here are my expenses

1.) Child care - $1,100
2.) Grocessry - $350 (I made monthly purchase at Carforr, using POSB everyday card to enjoy 5% discount and free delivery)
3.) PUB - $180 (my kids likes aircon, by the way, I am using inverter)
4.) M1 - $80
5.) StarHub - $90
6.) Donation - $300 (don't ask me why I donate so much, I just think that other disadvantaged people need the money more than I do)
7.) MRT - $60
8.) My insurance and my 2 kids insurance - $400
9.) Personal expenses - $800 (including weekends outing for family)

As you can see, i hardly have any savings. How does one expect me to have more than 2 kids? Even though government is giving me child bonus of $20,000, this is more like striking 4D which I can finish within few years. As you can see, by right, I should have supported my parents through their retirement years. Afterall, they supported me until I complete my bachelor degrees, but with my income and expenses, how do I do that? Certainly, I do not expect my kids to support me either when I retire and they join the work force. Can you imagine how I am going to have enough savings for my 2 kids university and my retirements. Actually, I always dream of working as a volunteer. It's the best job in the world, with no office politics.

Overall, I can find that it is difficult for Singaporeans to improve the birth rate, despite the givernment is trying hard to minimize the cost of living like granting GST rebate. They have to understand that these rebates are subjected to year-to-year fluctuation. There is no certainty that the government will continue the rebates. The government should consider keeping a lid on the living costs directly. No doubt, the government wants the people to have better living standard. But are they really enjoying the better living standard? For example, I used to stay in Upper Aljunied Lane. The hawker centre food used to be very nice and cheap. After renovation, some of the hawkers have to move out as they cannot afford the higher rental. Those who can afford will raise the cost of food. I used to enjoy the carrot cake before renovation. After renovation, I tried the carrot cake, it tasted worse, despite been cook by the same person. I cannot think of another reason other than the hawker told me she does not rent the stall anymore, but someone else did and hire her to fry carrot cake. So to me, a good living standard started with good and cheap food. The excess money from cheaper food can increase my purchasing power in other area. I mean, if I really want good environment, I would rather go to restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment